Marriage in the Dominican Republic

The entire trip was a bit of a blur, but I'll see how much of it I can recall.

Our flight out was on Canada day, and I had hoped that the airport wouldn't be so busy since we were leaving on the Sunday of a long weekend. We tried to check in on line the night before but there was a note that aerosol cans were considered hazardous materials, and would not allow me to print off the tickets. So we ended up waiting in line for about an hour before we got our tickets. I found out later that the you need not need to worry about aerosol cans unless they were in your carry-on luggage. Bah!

The flight to Punta Cana was fairly uneventful, but the drive from the airport to the resort was interesting. We passed by some gate where there was a guard with an assault rifle. The drive in and the wait for the bus and check in meant that we basically arrived with a couple of hours to spare before dinner.

The first night was spent helping the bride and groom unpack, since we had one of their luggage with us.

The next day, Maggie was busy with wedding stuff so I was left to my own devices for the most part. I spent a lot of that time playing beach volleyball and hanging around on the beach.

Tuesday was wedding day, so after a quick dip in the ocean, I got ready and joined the wedding party for some photos. It was a very hot, humid, and sunny day so I was sweating through my shirt. I took it off when I could just so that I would not completely drench it, but even then I could not beat the heat. The wedding ceremony and reception were nice. It actually started to rain in the afternoon so they had to move the reception indoors.

Wednesday was the first real vacation day for Maggie and we went on a "safari" where we checked out one of the local public schools, a zoo like place with different plants and animals, and a "real" family dwelling (which seemed a little commercialized).

Thursday was spent at the beach, after a quick family beach volleyball game where our team won! (I thought we were doomed when we had four girls on our team, while they had six guys.)

Friday was our "sunny day" cruise where we went off in a catamaran, went snorkeling, down a giant slide, and horsed around in a shallow lagoon.

Going on the Sunny Day cruise.

I'm not sure what I ate on Friday (I was thinking it's either the fruit dessert on the boat or the chocolate mousse for dinner) but I felt awful on Saturday morning, and felt even worse by the afternoon. I was pretty much bedridden the rest of the day/night.

I was, however, able to get up Sunday morning for our flight back. I would have preferred to have slept some more, but we made it back in one piece. I was pretty exhausted though.

Heading back home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knife Sharpener.

Boot to the Head.

So them Polynesians..